Saturday, December 8, 2007

let them be trimtab-captains

Jessica Lipnack writes:
Richard - I just read your intriguing post about the, uh, post cards. I have been a "Margaret person" for a long time and these stories seem to abound. I met a Swami about a year ago who ended up moving from London to Cambridge to live next door to MF House and join its board due to some sort of strange thing happening...
A swami now. Curiouser and curiouser, but somehow not so surprising. There's an uncanny aspect to this woman and her echoes in my neighborhood and elsewhere.

You don't have to dig far to learn that Margaret Fuller was actually the great aunt of Buckminster Fuller. Check the link. He was more than just the geodesic dome guy. He was tuned into the urban defects mindset throughout his life in a fairly profound and highly public way. He also seems to represent a technical incarnation of some core Trancendental beliefs - stuff like respect for truth through simplicity, disregard for convention and dogma and a holistic, universal attitude toward thinking and design.

Perhaps I was off base with my "nobody knows who Margaret Fuller is" bit a few days ago though. She seems to be sustaining a healthy audience, at least in some circles. This doesn't explain who's dropping the propaganda on my stoop but it does make me feel a bit late to the party. Except ... whose party?